Like any other vital commodities in our everyday lives, TMT bars must be judged for quality to construct a long-lasting building structure. This decision also helps to save money since a structure constructed with high-quality TMT bars does not require frequent maintenance and can be purchased at a low price from a renowned TMT bar manufacturer in Kolkata. Now, you may be wondering how we can assess the quality without utilizing it in a project. To alleviate your concerns, here is a discussion of some specific tests that can help you to judge the strength, elongation qualities, and quality of TMT bars.
A Few Tests to Determine the Quality of TMT Bars
- Tensile Tests – This test is essential for determining the ability of steel bars in terms of elasticity and yield strength. This guarantees that the steel bar can resist stress or be stretched out to meet the needs of a certain building project. A Universal Testing Machine (UTM) is used to measure the strength of reinforcing bars. However, according to IS 1786 criteria, any TMT bars with a capacity of up to 32 mm may be tested without using the equipment.
- Yield Stress Test – The yield stress test determines how much stress a material can withstand. Once the stress is relieved, the material will deform elastically until it reaches the yield point and then returns to its previous form. This test is also known as the 0.2% proof test.
- Bend Test – During the bending test, bars are typically bent at the midpoint to 180 degrees to observe the response of the rebar. As a result, high-quality TMT bars could not break or shatter.
- Re-bend Test – During the re-bend test, the bending angle of the bar is maintained constant at 135 degrees. Allow the TMT bar to cool for 30 minutes in boiling water at 100 degrees. After cooling, it is twisted again to 157.5 degrees and checked for rupture or fractures. If no rupture or fracture is visible to a person with normal vision at the bend location, the TMT bar is said to have passed the test (tension zone).
- Chemical Test – In Chemical Test, the chemical composition is tested using a spectrometer. This test takes around 10 to 15 seconds and produces printed results for up to 26 items available in the TMT bar. The spectrometer also displays copper, manganese, and chromium levels. According to the BIS, it must show the percentages of phosphorus, sulfur, and carbon.
We hope that knowing the above-mentioned testing procedures will easily help builders and civil engineers appraise the quality of TMT bars made by a reputable TMT bar manufacturer in India like Elegant Steel. To assess the quality of TMT bars, you may check the certificates and numerous test results accessible on the website of any reputable TMT bar manufacturer in India further.