“Om Namah Shivay” – the mantra itself says a whole lot things and it does not need any definition yet.
Maha Shivaratri is on its way to absorb all devotes and tie them up in one single string – the devotional string names after Shiva.
Every year on the dark fortnight of Krishna Paksha in the month of Phalguna (February or March) Maha Shivaratri (the great night of Shiva) is celebrated by Hindus all over India.
Apart from India, Hindus in Nepal and Pakistan celebrate the day with grace and devotion.
Maha Shivaratri 2020 Date in India
In 2020, Maha Shivaratri will be celebrated on the 21st of February.
Mythology and Legends behind Celebrating Maha Shivaratri
You can come across different narratives or legends when it comes to celebrating Maha Shivaratri, and which one is specific that is really hard to confirm. However, we devote do not eager to accept that we undergo an unfathomable glee in celebrating Maha Shivaratri every year with the same elegance and attachment.
1. Sagarmanthan (Samudra Manthan):
According to the most widespread narrative, on this holy day, the mythical Sagarmanthan occurred.
Gods and demons take part in Sagarmanthan (Churning of Milky Ocean) to possess the nectar to get eternal.
During this occasion, a pot of poison has emerged and it was so poisonous that it could cremate the universe. There was only Shiva who could save the universe from the poison or halahala. On the counsel of Lord Vishnu, Gods visited Lord Shiva and requested him to save the whole creation from the poison.
Shiva agreed to take the poison on his throat and he drank it. Since the event, Shiva is known as Neelkantha as his throat turned blue with the poison.
Hereafter, Maha Shivaratri is celebrated as gratitude to Lord Shiva to save the earth from lethal poison. Here lethal poison is manifested as ignorance, evil, odium, jealousy, and negativity that exist in humans and if anyone celebrates Maha Shivaratri he or she can get rid of these negative mindsets with the blessing of the Lord Shiva.
2. Shiva-Parvati Marriage Day:
Some devote belief, this is the day on when Lord Shiva got married to Devi Parvati.
Hence, unmarried girls and boys keep fast on this day to pray for a loyal and beautiful life partner akin to lord Shiva and Mata Parvati in their lives. It is said; Lord Shiva responds to the prayer of his devotees very soon and blesses them with boons.
3. Hunter Story:
There is a myth too that a hunter went out of his house and entered into a forest in search of poaching. He fed his family in such a way. But, he was unable to arrange his prey that day and sat on a tree and kept waiting for. Without his consciousness, he sat on a tree which was just above a Shiva Linga and continuously threw leaves on Shiv Linga whole night out of his restlessness; and coincidentally it was a bael tree (stone apple or wood apple). We all know that Lord Shiva gets pleased with a bael leaf. Lord Shiva got pleased with the hunter, came to him, and blessed him with happiness and wealth. Hence, we can observe that a few devotees awake the whole night and pray goodness and blessing from Lord Shiva on this auspicious day.
Hindus are strict in carrying out puja Vidhi and fasting irrespective of rituals. The exception is not found in the celebration of Maha Shivaratri fast. Actually, The Maha Shivaratri fast gets started from Troyodashi, the day before Maha Shiv Chaturdashi or Shivaratri.
Devotees take a one-time meal on Trayodashi (13th day of Krishna paksha).
On Maha Shivaratri or Shiv Chaturdashi, devotees take bath early in the morning and perform full day fast.
They generally visit Shiva temples and worship Lord Shiva with Ganga Jal, cow milk, curd, ghee, honey, beal Patra, flower, and sweets; and of course with the ardent devotion from heart.
On Chaturdashi, Lord Shiva is worshiped four times (on four Prahars) on this day. Though, devotees need to take the second bath to perform puja in the evening.
Devotees involve in a vigil to get the most out of fasting.
Later, devotees break their fast in between sunrise and sooner than the end of Chaturdashi tithi. It is believed that devotees get the desired boon and blessing from Lord Shiva if they carry out the fast with full devotion and respect.
Specialty Celebrating Maha Shivaratri on 21st February 2020
After 59 years, we are going to undergo an auspicious tithi on Maha Shivaratri; the Shash Yoga.
The yoga formed when Saturn and Moon come together in Capricorn, and Moon gets placed on Shravana nakshatra on Maha Shivaratri tithi.
The same yoga was formed in 1961; 59 years ago. It is believed that devotees who perform charity on this yoga during Maha Shivaratri get blessed by Lord Shiva.
So, if you are preparing for Maha Shivaratri fast this year then you are going to have the pleasure to perform charity this year along with a chance to please Lord Shiva with your devotion and admiration.
Chaturdashi Tithi on 21st February 2020 [what time does maha Shivaratri start]
Maha Shivaratri Timing: Tithi begins at 5:20 PM on 21st February 2020, and Tithi ends at 7:02 PM on 22nd February 2020.
Shivaratri Nishi Kaal Puja Timing: From 21st February 11:28 PM to 22nd February 12:18 AM.
Notwithstanding the Maha Shivaratri tithi, you can perform Shiva puja in every month on the 13th and 14th day of Krishna Paksha.
Lord Shiva is an ardent lover of his devotees. He always takes care of his devotees. It is not that you can earn blessing and boon only if you worship on Maha Shivaratri but also you can please him if you worship Lord Shiva on your own irrespective of auspicious tithi. Lord Shiva will not dishearten you.
However, there are two auspicious tithi to worship Lord Shiva in a year, on Maha Shivaratri and during Shravan month. You can also perform Shiva Puja on Monday every week.
Maha Shivaratri & Zodiac Signs
Shiva loves each of his disciples equally and he gets pleased by them easily. If you have faith in Shiva and worship Shiva with full devotion then you will never get deprived of his godsend and blessing irrespective of your zodiac sign. This year, during Maha Shivaratri natives of five zodiac signs, will be get benefited more comparing to other zodiac signs (rest seven). Let us discuss,
Gemini: Your life will be full of grace and happiness during this period. You will earn mental satisfaction. At the workplace, you will incur promotion and appreciation from the boss. Problems you are facing will get resolved and you will incur profit in financial matters. Your love life will be good at this moment.
Cancer: Your financial status will be improved. You can undergo sudden gain. You will win over challenges and experience a good time with your beloved. If you have invested earlier then you can expect huge gain from it. The student will gain benefits.
Virgo: You will get privileged at this time and you can share a strong bond with your family. Your financial status will be better than before. You will win over obstacles and share happy moments with your partner.
Libra: Family life will get improved. Love life stays happy. You will full support from your superiors and get ready to live a happy life.
Aquarius: You are going to live a happy life. Financial status gets enhanced than before. Your love life will take a lift. If you have invested in the share market then you will incur gain. Your family bonding gets stronger. You will get good news from different sides at this moment.
So, if you are one of the above-mentioned zodiac signs then Lord Shiva is going to bless your life soon. But, people who do not find their sign on the list, please don’t get disheartened. Lord Shiva never causes dejection to his dispels and you will not be deprived of happiness.
Just keep faith in Lord Shiva, worship him on this Maha yogic Shivaratri and get blessed.
How to Worship Lord Shiva According to Your Zodiac Sign!
Every zodiac sign has its own positivity and negativity. To increase positivity within you and erase the demon or negative sense from inside out, let us know how we can worship on this Maha Shivaratri based on our zodiac signs,
- Aries: Worship Somnath Jyothirlinga on this day, and bathe Shiva linga with milk. Offer Shami flower along with Shami leaves to please Shiva.
Mantra: Hriman Namah Shivaya Hriam
- Taurus: Worship Mallikarjuan Shivlinga on this day. if not possible for you then worship normal Shiva linga with Ganga Jal, and offer flower and leaf made of mud on Shivling
Mantra: Om Namah Shivaya
- Gemini: Worship Mahakaleshwar Linga. If not possible then meditate on the name of Mhakaleshwar and bathe the Shivlinga with honey and milk. Worship Shiva with beal Patra and Shami leaves.
Mantra: Om Namo Bhagwate Rudray Namho
- Cancer: Worship Omkareshwar Jyotirlinga if possible. If you are unable to get then worship normal Shivlinga and bathe the linga with Panchamrit (Ganga Jal, milk, ghee, curd, and honey). You should offer apamarg and beal patta to evade obstacles from your life.
Mantra: 7 Hoon Lun Sas, 108 times.
- Leo: Worship in the name of Vaidyanath jyotirlinga. If you do not find Vaidyanath linga then you can worship normal Shivlinga with Ganga Jal and white Kaner.
Mantra: Trimbaken Yajamahe Sugandhi Vardhavardanam, Urvarukamiv Bandhananam rottamaxai Maramathat. Chant this mantra for 51 times at least.
- Virgo: Worship Bhimashankar Jyotirlinga if possible. If you find it hard then worship normal Shivlinga with ghee in milk and bathe the linga. Then offer yellow Kaner and Shami leaves.
Mantra: Bhagwate Rudray
- Libra: Worship Rameshwar Jyotirlinga on this day. if not possible then bathe Shivlinga with a pot of water and offer mudra flower to Shiva.
Mantra: Om Namah Shivay for 108 times.
- Scorpio: Worship Nageshwar Jyotirlinga on this day. if you are unable to find then worship normal Shivlinga with milk lava and paddy, and worship Shiva with marigold flower, Shami and beal leaves.
Mantra: Hr Om Namah Shivaya.
- Sagittarius: You can worship Vishwanath Jyotirlinga if you are Sagittarius. But if it is not possible for you then you can worship normal Shivlinga with saffron mixed Ganga Jal and offer the jal to Shiva. Devote your whole with beal Patra and yellow/red Kaner.
Mantra: Om Tattpurushya Vidmahe Mahadevaya Dhemi, Tanno Rudra Prachodayat.
- Capricorn: Capricorn natives need to worship Trimbakeshwar Jyotirlinga on this auspicious day. If it is not possible for you then worship normal Shivlinga. Bathe the linga with jaggery mixed Ganga Jal and offer blue flowers to Shiva.
Mantra: Namah Shivaya.
- Aquarius: You need to worship Kedarnath Jyotirlinga on this day. if not possible and worship normal Shiva linga. Bathe Shivlingam with Panchamrit and offer lotus and datura flower to Shiva.
Mantra: Om Namah Shivaya.
- Pisces: Worship Grishneshwar Jyotirlinga if you can. If you cannot find the jyotirlinga then worship normal Shiva linga on this day. mix saffron with milk and bathe the linga. Then, offer cow milk ghee with honey to Shiva, and offer yellow Kaner flower with beal Patra.
Mantra: Om Tattpurushya Vidmahe Mahadevaya Dhemi, Tanno Rudra Prachodayat.
I hope, you will get the blessing of Lord Shiva on the 21st of February 2020 with all your heart out. Shiva will definitely respond to your prayer and consecrate your life with all happiness and well-being.
Let us chant the mantra of Lord Shiva and leave your every wish on him, you will not live unhappily.
Om Namah Shivaya II Om Namah Shivaya II Om Namah Shivaya II