Postnatal care and responsibilities also involve the care of the mother who needs to stay healthy and nurture her baby. Motherhood is the most wonderful thing that every woman wishes to experience in their lifetime at least once.
Being a mother is not an easy task because a child is a different responsibility
In the modern world, the trend of delivering post the age of 35 is becoming more popular. Being busy with their careers and education makes many women choose to think of conceiving at a later stage.
Many complications follow this process of aged maternal conceiving. However, in the modern world, a woman must consider both the career and child’s postnatal care when it comes to aged delivery.
Some good things about being a mom in her 40s:
Are you going to be a mother in your 40s?
Where many complications are expected with aged pregnancies, there are certain good sides to it as well. When you are an older mother, there are certain activities in which you gain an upper hand.
Certain benefits you get are
An elderly woman is already aware of THE responsibilities that are expected with a CHILD both.
The more age you have the better experienced you are and hence you will be aware of the perfect postnatal care to give to your child.
A mother in her 40s will be more aware of her strengths than she was when she was 20.
Being aware means better care for the child.
But the journey is not all dreamt for both the child and the mother. Both are expected to undergo several hurdles in life to cope with the late pregnancy.
Problems that you face in the case of pregnancy at an elderly age:
When a woman is experiencing the most beautiful event of childbirth in her 40s, she is susceptible to come across several complications. Overcoming all these hurdles is the key to successful delivery and a healthy baby.
Certain complications that arise in the case of women delivering at the age between 35 to 40 years can be described as below
- If you are delivering post your 30s the chances of miscarriage increase to a considerable extent.
- More than the chances of miscarriage, there develops a tendency among kids of getting abnormalities in chromosomes.
Did you know that kids from aged mothers get 100 times higher chances of developing Down syndrome as compared to kids from mothers in their 25s?
Down syndrome is a probable genetic disorder that can happen when you are having a kid late.
- An aged mother can develop a condition where the placenta develops from the wrong area of the uterus, called the Placenta Praevia.
- It is quite common to have increased gestational diabetes and high blood pressure for the mother.
- One can even expect premature or early labor.
- Though it is hereditary women in their 40s develop a chance of giving birth to triplets or twins.
If you are an aged mother then it is good to remember that there are chances of getting miscarriage in the early stage of your pregnancy.
Prenatal and Antenatal care for a child and aged mother for a smooth pregnancy
Beyond doubt, it is a fact that women delivering at a later age are liable to face complications, but there is always curing for every complication. One must stay in touch with their doctors regularly for proper prenatal care.
It is important to undergo regular antenatal care to keep yourself and the developing fetus in a healthy condition.
Seeing a doctor might not always meet your demand for regular consulting and overcoming your fears. It is suggested to get advice from midwives and care for you accordingly.
Some common examinations that you should undergo in the prenatal stage are
- Regular doctor’s check-up
- Blood test and physical examination
- Ultrasound will help in determining any abnormalities in your pregnancy.
Apart from these tests, there are certain home remedies for every aged mother
- Consult with a dietician and plan healthy meals. Diet is very important in case of pregnancy
- Try to take supplements for Vitamin D and Folic acid to stay healthy.
- Mommies if you have a habit of alcohol consumption and smoking then you need to quit it today.
- If you know of any genetic disorder in your family then you need to inform your doctor without delay.
- Avoid much travelling in your advanced stage of pregnancy.
- Regular exercises as advised by your doctor are of utmost importance.
Planning your child’s birth properly is very important for a smooth labor.
Special Antenatal care:
When it comes to special antenatal care for children to aged moms, you need to undergo certain special tests-
- Blood tests from the mother’s blood circulation system to get a clue on the DNA of the fetus devoid of any cells can help in determining the probability of any chromosomal disorder.
- Using an ultrasound will help you to check the structure internally.
- Test the tissues from the area surrounding a fetus, also known as Chorionic Villus Sampling Test.
- Get a test by withdrawing the Amniotic fluid, called Amniocentesis.
Apart from all these tests, you can refer to some genetic counsellor and discuss on the family history to determine any chances of genetic abnormalities.
Extra Postnatal chare for child and aged mothers
Once you have a smooth delivery, postnatal care is very much required for both the mother and the child.
Remember, post-birth, children to aged mothers require special care with regards to their nutrition, medication, etc.
To conclude on situations relating to children born to aged mothers, one can say that several complications always follow such pregnancies. Of course, there remain chances of chromosomal abnormalities like Down syndrome, but if you are under genetic counseling you can predetermine chances and antenatal care will ensure a healthy baby.
Both antenatal and postnatal care is important for mother and child to have a healthy birth.